Ramadan Mubarak to all of you! We are almost a week down, but I’m sure I can speak for all of us when I say this Ramadan in particular is more testing and difficult than others. Coupled with the scorching heat and here in London where the fast is averaging 18 hours a day, it can wreak havoc on our bodies and digestive system. However, fear not, here’s a recipe that is low in carbs, high in protein to help you shed some pounds but more importantly keep your hunger and thirst at bay until Iftar!
This recipe takes no more than half an hour, so there’s no excuse to get in the kitchen!
Cooled Coconut Protein Porridge:
– A cup of porridge made with almond or coconut milk- you can even make this the night before and leave in the fridge if you would like a cooler breakfast
– Stir in a generous tablespoon of peanut butter
– A handful of crushed walnuts and almonds to sprinkle on top
– For greater sustenance you can even slice up rough pieces of your favourite protein bar.
– For a fruitier meal add in a sliced banana or your favourite berries!
The oats are slow releasing energy and added protein from the nuts will keep you going for longer.
What you need:
- Porridge oats- 1 cup
- Almond or coconut milk- half a cup
- Almonds- handful
- Banana – whole
- Berries- handful
- Protein bar – half a bar
- Peanut butter- 1 large tablespoon
Tip of the day: If you are a big tea and coffee drinker and find you are having headaches. Drink a very strong cup of tea or coffee for Sehri. If you normally have one tea bag make it two. Have a double shot of espresso. I’m a big caffeine addict, and I’ve found that having a rocket fuel cup of coffee for Sehri has stopped my headaches.
For hilarious Ramadan memes follow @imdesiok