Black Sesame and Ginger Chicken Noodle Salad by Raza Ahmed of Bamboo Union in Lahore.
• Chicken breast (sliced into thin strips), 370 grams
• Sesame oil, 1 tblsp
• Salt, ¾ tsp
• Ginger (grated), 1 tsp
• Corn-starch, ½ tsp
• White pepper, 1/4 tsp
• Baking soda, 1/8 tsp
• Thai noodles
• Basil leaves
• Thai red chilli (finely diced), 2 small
• Chilli flakes, 1 tsp
• Roasted salted peanuts or pine nuts to serve
• Chilli oil
Black Sesame and Ginger Sauce
• Black sesame seeds, 75 grams
• Chicken stock, 115 grams
• Rice wine vinegar, 30 grams
• Soy sauce, 60 grams
• Dark soy sauce, 1 tsp
• Grated ginger, 1.5 tblsp
• Garlic (peeled), 1 tsp
• Peanut butter, 23 grams
• Sesame oil, 2.5 tblsp
• Sugar, ¾ tsp
• White pepper, ½ tsp
Prepare the chicken
• Evenly mix the thinly sliced chicken breast strips with toasted sesame oil, salt & grated ginger, cornstarch, white pepper and baking soda.
• Let it marinade for 30 minimum and 10 hours maximum. Bring a pot of water and add enough water to cover the chicken. Poach chicken until
just cooked (about 1-2 minutes). Drain the stock and keep chicken covered in the fridge.
Make the sesame sauce
• Toast the black sesame seeds in a pan until they make popping sounds.
• Take the left over stock from poaching the chicken and add rice wine vinegar.
• Transfer the sesame seeds, chicken stock, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, ginger, garlic, peanut butter, toasted sesame oil, sugar and white pepper.
• Blend on high speed until it forms into a thick paste. Set aside.
Combine the ingredients
• Cook the rice noodles according to package instructions but keep them chilled.
• Combine the chicken with the noodles, 3 tblsp of sesame sauce and basil. Top with more fresh chopped red chillies and toasted peanuts.
• Drizzle some chilli and sesame oil on top.