At least nineteen people have been killed in a suspected terrorist attack during a concert by US star Ariana Grande in Manchester on Monday, reports Reuters.
A spokesman for Ariana Grande, said the 23-year-old singer was “okay”. However according to the British police, at least 50 people were injured and her fellow musicians were shocked by the attack.
“So far 19 people have been confirmed dead, with around 50 others injured. This is currently being treated as a terrorist incident until police know otherwise,” police said in a statement.
British Prime Minister Theresa May condemned the “appalling terrorist attack” and suspended her campaign ahead of a general election on June 8.
“All our thoughts are with the victims and the families of those who have been affected,” said May.
Grande, who was set to give a concert in London on the following Tuesday, said she was ‘broken’ in a tweet.
“Broken. From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don’t have words,” she wrote.
from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don’t have words.
— Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) May 23, 2017
Her fellow musicians were also shocked as they send out their condolences:
My thoughts, prayers and tears for all those affected by the Manchester tragedy tonight. I’m sending all my love.
— Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13) May 23, 2017
Broken hearted for the families tonight. Broken hearted for Ari. Broken hearted for the state of this world. 😔
— KATY PERRY (@katyperry) May 23, 2017
every musician feels sick & responsible tonight—shows should be safe for you. truly a worst nightmare. sending love to manchester & ari
— Lorde (@lorde) May 23, 2017