Award-winning actresses Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelia Jolie have joined a growing list of women accusing Hollywood film producer Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment.
Paltrow and Jolie told The New York Times in an interview published Tuesday that they have been harassed by the film mogul and Democrat mega-donor.
Paltrow recalled to the Times being summoned to Weinstein’s hotel suite as a 22-year-old to discuss her role in Weinstein’s production of Jane Austen’s “Emma,” saying that the producer touched her and suggested they head to the bedroom for massages.
“I was a kid, I was signed up, I was petrified,” Paltrow said. The role in “Emma” helped launch her career, causing Paltrow to fear that rejecting Weinstein could affect her future in Hollywood.
Paltrow said she rebuffed his moves and then confided in her then-boyfriend Brad Pitt about the advances. Pitt confronted the producer and confirmed the incident to the Times. Weinstein reportedly lashed out at Paltrow for telling Pitt about the encounter.
“I thought he was going to fire me,” she told the Times.
Jolie told the paper Weinstein also made unwanted advances to her when she was a young actress, prompting her not to work with the producer on future projects.
“I had a bad experience with Harvey Weinstein in my youth, and as a result, chose never to work with him again and warn others when they did,” Jolie told the Times.
“This behavior towards women in any field, any country is unacceptable,” Jolie added.
Paltrow and Jolie are two of more than a dozen women who have spoken out in the last week about Weinstein’s behavior.
The New Yorker reported Tuesday that 13 women say they have been harassed by Weinstein and three women have accused the producer of rape.
The New York Times first broke the story last week, documenting more than three decades of sexual harassment allegations and settlements against Weinstein.