Winter is a season enjoyed by many, to cozy nights with a cup of hot chocolate while watching your favourite TV show or gathered around a bonfire under the chilly night sky to keep you warm. One thing that no one looks forward to is winter dryness. Moisturising is the main key and we got you covered with 8 tips on how to keep your skin soft, smooth and hydrated during winter time.
- Exfoliate– During winter, skin cells dry out and dehydrate much quicker. To let these dead skin cells go is important so new, healthier cells can start to develop. Once or twice a week of exfoliation for your skin would leave with smooth healthy skin. A DIY scrub could be whipped up in seconds, all you need it coconut oil and sugar. Mix the two in a bowl and apply all over your face and neck (if needed) in a circular motion for a minute and rise with lukewarm water.
- Protect your skin– Winter sun has the same harsh effect as summer sun. So sunscreen is a must! And also cover up at all times with gloves, socks and scarves to protect the skin.
- Moisturizing- This should be done regularly and the best would be before going to bed at night. Our hands, elbows, knees and feet tend to get dryer easily as the skin around these areas are thin and lose their moisture quicker compared to other areas on the body.
- DIY Masks- Who doesn’t love DIYs? They are natural and less cost effective as almost everything is found right in your kitchen! Ingredients such as honey, rosewater, turmeric, gram flour, yogurt, different oils, aloevera, banana, lemon and sugar provide the moisture one desperately seeks during winter dryness. Mix what you like together to create a cream or paste, and leave on skin for 10-30 minutes for lasting hydration. Here’s a recipe for you to try tonight: All you need is 1 Egg yolk and a teaspoon of honey, blend until incorporated, leave on face for 10-15 minutes (best to dry naturally), rinse and voila!
- And lastly, drink lots and lots of water!